About the Position: The position is for a Security Guard with Arlington National Cemetery, located in Arlington, VA. Since May of 1864, Arlington National Cemetery has served as the nation’s premier military cemetery and shrine honoring those men and women who served in the Armed Forces.
Learn more about this agency
- Conduct foot or vehicle patrol of perimeters, roadways, parking and other high traffic areas as well as interior of shops, storage, administrative and other structures.
- Conduct vehicle searches/inspections in accordance with standing operating procedures.
- Secure installation from all unauthorized entry on own initiative or upon notification of alarm or emergency.
- Question suspicious persons and warns or detains violators of laws, regulations, policies, rules or posted warnings.
- Perform security guard duties in accordance with appropriate regulations to detect and prevent theft, damage, accident, trespass, sabotage and espionage and to enforce the security and safety regulations of the installation.
- Inspects containers, personal property, documents on private, commercial, and governmental vehicles.
Occasional travel – You may be expected to travel for this position.
Conditions of Employment
- Appointment may be subject to a suitability or fitness determination, as determined by a completed background investigation.
- Must abide by requirements of applicable Individual Reliability Program.
- Incumbent is required prior to employment, to undergo, and pass, a complete medical physical, at government facility at government expense and must also undergo this requirement annually.
- Individual agrees to submit to a urinalysis on a recurring basis, in accordance with AR 600-85.
- Shift work is required, or change in work shift may be necessary. Hours of work encompass fluctuating tours of duty. Overtime may be required as directed and is subject to recall for periods of emergency overtime.
- Incumbent must be proficient in the use of assigned firearms/weapons, pass an initial qualification, and must qualify semi-annually thereafter in the use of assigned firearms/weapons.
- Incumbent is subject to possible civil actions due to improper exercises of authority or injudicious use of force in the detention of individuals.
- Incumbent must successfully complete security guard training.
- Incumbent must successfully complete CPR certification, Automated External Defibrillator (AED), and First Aid training.
- Incumbent may be required to wear chemical protection masks, gloves, and other protective equipment, and may be required to be certified in the use of aerosol irritants and baton.
- Incumbent will be required to pass entry level and annual re-certification of standard Army physical fitness/agility test.
- Incumbent must possess and maintain a valid driver?s license.
- Incumbent must wear a prescribed uniform.
- Position requires scheduled training in the techniques of use of deadly force, anti-/counter-terrorism, first aid, firearms, search and seizure, security operations and enforcement of installation rules, regulations, and policies.
- Good eye/hand coordination is required to operate radios and security weapons and equipment.
- Works both inside and outside with possible exposure to inclement weather.
- This is as a Mission Essential (ME) position and is occupied by an agency designated Emergency employee.
- This position is covered by the 1996 Lautenberg Amendment to the Gun Control Act of 1968.
Who May Apply: US Citizens
In order to qualify, you must meet the experience requirements described below. Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community; student; social). You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience. Your resume must clearly describe your relevant experience; if qualifying based on education, your transcripts will be required as part of your application. Additional information about transcripts is in this document .
Competition for Security Guard positions is restricted by law to persons entitled to veterans’ preference as long as such applicants are available for appointment.
Physical Ability Test (PAT): All Applicants and Employees must pass PAT. PAT consists of: 19 Pushups in 2 minutes; Running 1.5 miles (2.41 km) in 17:30 minutes
Specialized Experience: One year of specialized experience equivalent to the GS-05 grade level in the Federal service which includes detection and prevention of theft, damage, and/or trespassing, performing vehicle searches, confiscating unauthorized items, directing traffic flow, verifying identification and controlling access to premises.
You will be evaluated on the basis of your level of competency in the following areas:
- Access Control Operations
- Physical Security
- Security Documentation
- Security Enforcement
- Male applicants born after December 31, 1959, must complete a Pre-Employment Certification Statement for Selective Service Registration.
- You will be required to provide proof of U.S. Citizenship.
- Two year trial/probationary period may be required.
- Direct Deposit of Pay is required.
- Selection is subject to restrictions resulting from Department of Defense referral system for displaced employees.
- If you have retired from federal service and you are interested in employment as a reemployed annuitant, see the information in the Reemployed Annuitant information sheet.
- This is a Career Program (CP) 19 – Installation Management position.
- You may claim military spouse preference.
- Multiple positions may be filled from this announcement.
- Salary includes applicable locality pay.
- Interagency Career Transition Assistance Program (ICTAP). If you are a Federal employee in the competitive service and your agency has notified you in writing that you are a displaced employee eligible for ICTAP consideration, you may receive selection priority for this position. To receive selection priority, you must: (1) meet ICTAP eligibility criteria (2) be rated well-qualified for the position and; (3) submit the appropriate documentation to support your ICTAP eligibility. To be considered well-qualified and receive selection priority applicants must satisfy all qualification requirements for the position and receive a score of 90 or above. Additional information about the program is on OPM’s Career Transition Resources website.
- If you are unable to apply online or need to fax a document you do not have in electronic form, view the following link for information regarding an Alternate Application .
How You Will Be Evaluated
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
Once the announcement has closed, a review of your application package (resume, supporting documents, and responses to the questionnaire) will be used to determine whether you meet the qualification requirements listed on this announcement. If you are minimally qualified, your résumé and supporting documentation will be compared against your responses to the assessment questionnaire to determine your level of experience. If, after reviewing your résumé and/or supporting documentation, a determination is made that you have inflated your qualifications and/or experience, you may lose consideration for this position. Please follow all instructions carefully when applying, errors or omissions may affect your eligibility.
You should list any relevant performance appraisals and incentive awards in your resume as that information may be taken into consideration during the selection process. If selected, you may be required to provide supporting documentation.
Basis for Rating: Qualified candidates will be assigned to one of three quality categories: Best Qualified, Highly Qualified and Qualified. Veteran preference eligibles are listed ahead of non-preference eligibles within each quality category.
- Best Qualified. Candidates in this category possess exceptional skills and experience to exceed well above the minimum requirements for the announced position.
- Highly Qualified. Candidates in this category possess good skills and experience above the minimum requirements for the announced position.
- Qualified. Candidates in this category meet the minimum experience requirements for the announced position.
Background checks and security clearance
Drug test required
Position sensitivity and risk
Noncritical-Sensitive (NCS)/Moderate Risk
Trust determination process
The documents you are required to submit vary based on whether or not you are eligible for preference in federal employment. A complete description of preference categories and the associated required documents is in the Applicant Checklist (External) .
As described above, your complete application includes your resume, your responses to the online questionnaire, and documents which prove your eligibility to apply. If you fail to provide these documents, you will be marked as having an incomplete application package and you will not be considered any further.
1. Your resume:
- Your resume may be submitted in any format and must support the specialized experience described in this announcement.
- If your resume includes a photograph or other inappropriate material or content, it will not be used to make eligibility and qualification determinations and you may not be considered for this vacancy.
- For qualifications determinations your resume must contain hours worked per week and the dates of employment (i.e., HRS per week and month/year to month/year or month/year to present). If your resume does not contain this information, your application may be marked as incomplete and you may not receive consideration for this position.
- For additional information see: What to include in your resume .
2. Other supporting documents:
- Cover Letter, optional
- Most recent Performance Appraisal, if applicable
NOTE: Documents submitted as part of the application package, to include supplemental documents, may be shared beyond the Human Resources Office. Some supplemental documents such as military orders and marriage certificates may contain personal information for someone other than you. You may sanitize these documents to remove another person’s personal information before you submit your application. You may be asked to provide an un-sanitized version of the documents if you are selected to confirm your eligibility.
If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education .
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.